Sunday, 25 January 2015

Pretty Liberty of London Label Tutorial .....



Hello my friends

I posted this photo on Instagram last week




I'd just pimped up some old drawers for my sewing room
(btw ..... I post on Instagram most days, I'm @thesweetviolet)
I had a few ladies ask me how I made them
so I thought I'd write a quick tutorial
they're Easy~Peasy
and just think of all the things that could be labeled!

I used some of my precious Liberty of London scraps
as they make my heart sing with joy
(and I am obsessed)
but you can use any pretty fabric scraps you have to hand




 ~ Youll need ~




Small scrap of patterned fabric (at least 13 cm x 4 cm)
Small piece of white felt (at least 13 cm x 4 cm)
Small piece of bondaweb (at least 13 cm x 4 cm)
Small length of cotton twill webbing tape 1.5 cm wide (or any plain cotton ribbon)
Pretty colour thread
Clear small letter stamps (mine are Stampendous ~ Small typewriter alphabet)
(there are lots of these on eBay)
Acrylic stamping block
StazOn black ink pad (or other fabric ink pad)
Masking tape
Double sided tape
Cutting mat
Steel edge ruler
Rotary cutter
Scissors


1. Iron the bondaweb to the felt, remove paper backing from the bondaweb and place the patterned fabric on top and iron.




2.     Trim this fabric sandwich to 12 cm x 3.5 cm with your rotary cutter.

3.     Line up your desired letter stamps, printing side down, on a piece of lined paper as a guide, this is a bit fiddly, I sometimes use a wooden kebab stick for help, but remember, they dont have to be perfectly straight, a little higgledy piggledy looks lovely
Press your acrylic block firmly over the top to pick up the letters.





4.     Using masking tape, tape the twill tape to the work surface to secure it and to make it nice and flat.





5.     Lay your acrylic block on a flat surface, letters facing up and Ink the letters with the stazOn ink using gentle pats, making sure that you cover the letters thoroughly.
Stamp firmly onto the twill tape, holding it there for a couple of seconds, pressing firmly down without moving it.

TIP :: Have a practice on a piece of scrap tape or fabric first.





6.     Using scissors, trim the ends of the twill tape ½ cm or so from the letters, attach centrally to your patterned fabric piece with a little double sided tape, but just a small amount so that your sewing machine needle wont have to stitch through it and get all gooey!

7.     Using your sewing machine stitch all the way around the label, twice, a few millimetres from the edges, pull the thread ends through to the back and tie.

8.     And there you have it ..... one pretty label! I attached mine to my drawers (wooden ones not under garment ones ..... although theres an idea!) with extra strong double sided tape but you could just as easily use glue.






Well I hope that all makes sense ..... let me know if you have any problems

I'll add this tutorial to my 'Tutorial' section on the sidebar
I hope to do lots more


Back soon

BIG love 
x Jooles x


P.S If you make some I'd LOVE to see them ..... it would make my day!
You could either send me a link or if you post on Instagram
tag your photos

#prettylittlelabels



12 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that lovely. It's so clever, not to mention pretty!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Great idea and your drawers look lovely! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so pretty. I'd seen them on another blog and wondered how they did it, so thank you for sharing. I'm now looking round for things to label! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd always wondered how you printed text onto fabric, it's lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, very interesting way to do the lettering, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty Jooles, thank you for sharing, Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely idea, they look so pretty and you are sweet to share your stamping secrets! Your stamped labels always look so perfect, and now we can see why :)
    Wishing you a happy week, lovely Jooles.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a sweet little tutorial. Thanks for sharing. I store my fabric in pretty cardboard banker boxes, but they're still labeled with sticky notes. I've been meaning to do something about that. Maybe now I will.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial, Jooles. the labels look very pretty & really give the boxes a "lift"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a fab tutorial! Thank you lovely! I shall be trying this very soon!!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by..... I love it that you do!
Your kind comments make my day & I love to know what you think.

If you ask me a question please tick the 'Notify Me' box so you'll know when I have responded.

Love Jooles x x x